PROFESSIONAL SUMMARY 1990 – PRESENT
- Advisor to executive management, specializing in the development and implementation of people-centered leadership practices. Areas of expertise include building integrated
organizational dynamics, mission-based business and marketing strategies, assessing and strengthening corporate culture, and developing quality performance practices.
- Trusted mentor to individuals seeking productive, balanced lives of stewardship.
- Director of national and international organizations, both profit and non-profit.
- Author; lecturer, workshop facilitator, motivational and keynote speaker.
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
1978-1990 Vice President and General Manager, Nordstrom, Inc.
Full responsibility for development, for company's largest and most profitable division: Southern California. Responsible for all strategic planning, budget,
operational and bottom-line activities, as well as management selection, merchandising, and physical plant operations.
- Built business to $1 billion in annual revenues
- Located, planned and opened 19 stores
- Increased employee base from 350 to 11,000
- Supported regional credit office in developing account base to two million customers
- Mentored cutting edge programs in benefits, hiring, motivating and training
- Planned and executed advertising, sales promotions and public relations
- Represented Nordstrom's customer service ethic as internal and external spokesperson
1971-1978 Held four positions at Nordstrom with increasing responsibility leading to three years as manager of one of the chain's largest
stores. Also served as a commissioned sales person, department manager and buyer.
- 1998- Director, Washington Mutual Savings Bank
- 1996- Director, Wellpoint Health Networks, Inc.
- 1995- Director, Advantica Companies, Inc.
- 1994- Director, Wolverine Worldwide, Inc.
- 1992- Director, Wal~Mart Stores, Inc.
- 1998- Director, Dacor
- 1986- Member, International Women's Forum
- 1990-1998 Director, The H. F. Ahmanson Company
- 1993-1997 Trustee, Gettysburg College
- 1983-1990 Founder and Director, The National Bank of Southern California
- 1983-1995 Director, Carl Karcher Enterprises
- 1991-1994 Director, The Vons Companies
- 1993-1995 Director, Sport Chalet, Inc.
- 1986-1990 Director, The Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce
- 1980-1988 Director, United Way of Orange County
- 1985-1987 Chairman, United Way of Orange County
- 1988-1995 Director, The St. Joseph Health System
PARTIAL LISTING OF AWARDS & RECOGNITION
- 1995 Directors’ Choice Award, The National Women’s Economic Alliance
- 1995 Author of the Year, Pfeiffer Publishing
- 1989 Retail Entrepreneur of the Year Awards, Finalist, Los Angeles Executive Magazine
- 1989 Outstanding Alumnus Award, Gettysburg College
- 1988 Humanitarian of the Year, National Conference of Christians and Jews
- 1987 Woman of Achievement, Business, YWCA South Orange County
- 1988 Woman of the Year, Business and Industry, YWCA North Orange County
- 1997 Child Advocate of the Year, Casita de San Jose, Orange
- 1999 Who’s Who of American Women
- M.Ed., Secondary Education, Boston University
- Certificate of Management, Graduate School of Business, University of Washington
- B.A., German Language & Linguistics, Wayne State University
- Extensive, ongoing study in the areas of leadership, stewardship, human dynamics, organizational dynamics, ethics and spirituality.
- Multi-lingual with international experience.
MAJOR PUBLISHED WORKS
Fabled Service (San Diego: Pfeiffer & Company, 1995).
Inspiring Fabled Service (San Diego: Pfeiffer & Company, 1996).
It’s Our Pleasure! (Tokyo: Diamond Publishing Company, 2000)